Current Status and Vision
NCHU’s educational goal is to incubate elite talents’ humanistic and scientific literacy, communication, and innovation skills, international vision, and human compassion. The vision of the university’s development is "student-oriented, social responsibility, and international contribution".
NCHU makes many efforts in internationalization in recent years, including participation in international education associations, establishing partner universities, professors and students exchange, signing dual-degree programs, conducting international seminars, and inviting world-class academic and research institutions for bilateral academic exchanges
- NCHU promotes the international volunteer service program for students since 2012. Before the COVID-19 pandemic, the groups went to the Philippines and Nepal for about two weeks of volunteer service each summer, promoted maternal and children health, built public sanitation facilities, and worked on other projects based on local needs, so as to establish an international outlook and practice social responsibility.
- International Cooperation and Development Fund designates 2021 as the first year of the "overseas volunteers - College Youth Project" and invites NCHU to be a partner institution. In this project, students at NCHU can go overseas for a semester of voluntary service, and obtain internship credits, with subsidies.
International Medical Care: Our Teaching Hospitals
- Taichung Veterans General Hospital has an international medical center, executes international-level medical cooperation programs, and sends medical mission teams to Southeast Asia and India
- Changhua Christian Hospital has an overseas medical center and officially started overseas medical services in 2004. Every year, it sends 10 medical mission teams to developing countries. With its footprints in Asia, the South Pacific, Africa, and the Caribbean. In addition to participation in emergency relief and post-disaster care, it also provides professional training for healthcare providers from developing countries.
- Tungs’ Taichung MetroHarbor Hospital is reputable for its Da Vinci robotic arms surgery and 24-hour year-round international medical transport service It provides health care for residents in suburban areas and industrial parks, as well as air medical service.
- Show Chwan Healthcare System, in accordance with the Ministry of Health and Welfare's "Flagship Program of Medical Service Internationalization," introduces Taiwan's exquisite, high-quality, and affordable medical services to the world. The "International Medical Center" was officially established in 2009 to provide treatment, clinic reservation, and consultation for foreigners. It is of great help to incubate medical students' international vision and human compassion.
Federation of Medical Students in Taiwan
The Federation of Medical Students in Taiwan is a self-rule group composed of 18 departments of medicine at 13 universities. It focuses on issues such as health, human rights, and medical education, holds cross-university activities, and is eligible to send representatives to the General Assembly (GA) and the Asia-Pacific Regional Meeting (APRM). The post-baccalaureate medical students at NCHU managed to apply for membership at a very early stage for the purpose of leading-edge knowledge and international outlook.